Monday, April 03, 2006

Securing the inside of cupboards



At one of our Bluewater Cruising meetings, someone said you have to imagine your boat upside down and think about what is happening. You have to think about what will have fallen out of the cupboards, what will have come out of the bins that are under the seats, which are now the ceiling, and what has come off the shelves. To combat this we have screwed down the lids of the bins that hold the batteries and I have devised a way to keep the stuff in the cupboards.

I bought some netting and using cup hooks I fastened the netting inside all of the cupboards and shelves. It has kept all our shoes in their spot below the navigation table and once a cupboard opened and the dishes inside stayed there. I am not sure if the cup hooks will hold the netting if there was constant pressure on it, but the teak is a hard wood so I am hoping the cup hooks will hold.

I was trying to think of a way to positively fasten the cupboards but I have just fiddled with the closing and now most of them are fairly secure. I did not want to spoil the look of the cupboards by putting fasteners on the outside of them or drilling holes in them so that you could put a different fastener inside. If anyone has any ideas about this please let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home